Friday 12 November 2010

Icon Imagery

I did some image experiments with the icon stencils.
For Lana Turner I chose a blue from my 40's colour pallete, to be representiative of that decade, and used this as a 'shadow' with a soft edge behind the image. I quite like this but feel maybe adding abit of pattern would make it look better, as a contrast to the smoothness of her face. I have also added abit of shade to her cheeks, as the 40s makeup range will consist of powder, blush and eyebrow pencil.

I like this much better. I chose to use circles as if to subconsciously portray the cycle of reusing make-up tecnhiques, bringing these old styles to the modern world.

I used a gradient of a blue and a dark yellow for this, witth an 'overlay opacity' on the face. I feel this takes away too much attention from the image


I did the same with the Marilyn image which I also really like as it is simple. The colour behind the image is from the 50s colour pallette.

Using a pink backdrop and removing the black outlines of the image, and then emphasisiing the lips with red and the beauyt spot in black. I think it is very bold but don't like it as much as the one above.

Trying to experiment with a more subtle pink and halftone pattern, which is representatvie of the decade, with a blue and pink gradient. I liek this but it isn't as visually engaging as the other.

Using the colour behind the image stencil again. The orange colour is from the 60's colour pallette.
I also added a grey shadow on her eyes, to create emphasis, as the 60s product is aimed at recreatign her eyes.

Using the colour as a full circle behind the star. I like the circle outlining Twiggy's face as it draws you into the image.

I still prefer this style of image as it it more subtle and intriguing.

This image is using a purple and orange from the 60s colour pallatte. I really like this, however I like the one below better with the white inner circle as it gives a frame around the face, which creates focus.


My favourite images that I think best represent the makeup products are the those with colours and circle behind the faces and and also this final image above with colour beyond the inner circle, as it creates a frame.
Decorative frames were popular in earlier centuries, so it it relevant and also visually appealing.
I think it would be nice to have the plain image on the makeup gift packaging, and then have the inner products with the colours that represent that particular century.

No comments:

Post a Comment